Despite its existence on the Indian subcontinent for thousands of years, Indian head massage has only recently started to gain popularity in the West as we learn about the exciting cultures and techniques around the world.
Although the techniques are applied to the upper parts of the body only (shoulders, upper arms, neck and head), collectively they represent a de-stressing programme for the whole body. Indian head massage has therefore become a primary form of stress management treatment in the western world.
Clients seeking relief from stress and tension often find Indian head massage a convenient form of treatment to receive in that:
- There is no need to undress
- It is quick and effective in terms of results
- It can be performed anywhere, due to its portable nature whilst sitting up
Some benefits of Indian Head Massage:
Indian head massage helps increase joint mobility and flexibility in the neck and shoulders, improves blood circulation and lymphatic flow, frees knots of muscular tension, relaxes connective tissue, and aids in the elimination of accumulated toxins and waste products. It is particularly good for reducing the effects of stress and tension.
Some effects of Indian Head Massage:
It is particularly effective for helping in the relief of:
- Muscular tension caused by occupational stress (long periods of sitting at a computer
- Emotional stress (feeling anxiety and depression)
- Headaches caused by stress and tension
- Poor sleep patterns resulting from the effects of stress on the mind and body
- May encourage and stimulate healthy hair growth
An Indian Head Massage can be given along with some wonderful aromatic essential oils or delicious coconut oil if desired. Clients will need to be aware that their hair will be oily after the treatment when returning to the work place.
Of course the treatment can be given without any oils if preferred.